Jump to navigation Jump to search
Why create Valentina? Aren't other patternmaking tools available?
- Valentina users have full access to pattern creation. Some patternmaking tools allow limited modification to patterns provided as additional add-on purchases.
- Valentina's interface is based on the holistic workflow of patternmaking. It is more user-friendly and more efficient than if it were created by modifying an existing tool designed for another purpose.
- Valentina uses open data formats which are readable by any computer system. Other pattern files can be used only by designers, patternmakers, and manufacturers who have purchased compatible systems. Valentina's commitment to open data formats is intended to increase collaborative efforts between users regardless of native language, skill set, or computer system.
- Valentina is open source code, which means it will remain focused on the needs of its community of small independent designers, patternmakers and manufacturers. Functionality can be extended to be what the users want it to be!
How can I grade patterns with Valentina? Can I create individual patterns for myself or for a customer?
- Valentina users can create a range of sizes for each pattern using measurement files, allowing for precise sizing customization. Other pattern making software allows additional size creation through 'grading rules' based on averages of large databases of measurements, which may or may not reflect realistic body measurements. Some software tools require an add-on purchase in order to have 'grading' capability.
- Valentina patterns can fit an actual person, of any ethnic group, using precision formulas and real body measurements.
Can I use my current patternmaking techniques with Valentina? How is Valentina different? How can I learn patternmaking techniques?
- Users can use any patternmaking method they wish in Valentina.
- Most patternmaking techniques use basic measurements and average proportions. Patterns made using basic measurements and average proportions require manual pattern adjustments to finish patterns for full or small busts, waists that are close in size or larger than hips, wide shoulders, muscular backs and necks, prominent abdomens, short or long waist lengths, etc. Valentina aims to provide tools to reduce the amount of manual work required for patternmaking.
- There are many books which approach patternmaking by using formulas. Current books by Winifred Aldrich or Mueller and Sohn, or vintage books by M.Rohr or Ester Pivnick are good sources. Specific documentation for using Valentina is currently under development.